Monday, May 11, 2009

Video Skills and Radio Stars - let's hit the couch...

1. Bill Hicks - The dark poet who left this world way to soon. I'll never forget the first time I opened my ears to him and he opened my eyes. We were somewhere between Joburg and Bloemfontein - my views on this world were changed forever and Bloemfontein will never be the same again. He was and still is my preacher. Talk about a prophet for the people before his time. His material is still relevant today. This guy was dialed direct....

2. Californication - The best written, well cast, edgiest and brilliantly acted series since TV was invented. It blows my mind with it's unnerving cynicism and visionary wit. The way Hank and Caren parent their child is an example to every parent on the planet. As funny as this show is, it is also hearbreaking, charming and inspiring. Bring on season 3.

3. Arrested Development - The funniest sitcom to ever grace our television sets. Never before has a programme been so cleverly written with such hilarity and well constructed plot lines. Gob's attempt at entry into/escape from a maximum security prison is probably the funniest thing I've ever seen on TV. They pulled it after just 3 seasons but George Lopez just keeps on going???????

4. Heroes - Okay, so season 2 & 3 were slightly convoluted yet enjoyable, but season 1 was fucking awesome. I could not stop watching it. Not since we tuned into V all those years ago has science fiction been so goddamn cool and suspenseful. Let's hope season 4 sorts itself out.

5. Douglas Adams - Probably the funniest guy in the galaxy. I've read most of his books more than once and they never cease to make me laugh out loud and fall of my chair/couch/toilet/bed/lounger/seat on the tube.... "The whale was flying through the air in much the same way that bricks don't." That is some funny stuff right there.

6. John Irving - Another one of the all-time greats. The World According to Garp is my favourite book of all time [6 reads]. The humanity, observation and attention to detail of all the characters he creates is in a class all of its own. A book may be 400 pages character adaptation, 100 pages plot and 100% farce. Genius!

7. Eddie Murphy [age 20 - 30] - He's a funny guy!! Okay not so much now, but every now and then he pulls out a pearler of a voice-over and how can anyone forget: Delirious, Raw, Trading Places, Coming to America, Beverly Hills Cop? The man is a pure comic genius. "Goony gugu???" "Your wife's a big foot ain't she Gus?"

8. Ford Fairlane, Rock and Roll Detective - Sure, he was a male chauvinist pig, but when you're 15 years old and he's talking in that Brooklynese accent about cheese graters and masturbation, you're going to piss yourself throughout the film. "You didn't think we'd kill the fucking Koala Bear now did you..?" His stand-up tapes also burnt out a few of the batteries in my walkman.

9. All Tarantino - Slightly passe, and possibly an obvious choice, but I love all of his films - some more than others. This year, we can look forward to Inglorious Basterds which, judging by the previews, looks like one big fuck me of a return to form. He's still the king of conversation when it comes to dialogue. I mean he plucked John Travolta out of Look Who's Talking and made him sound cooler than Johnny Depp playing Jack Nicholson directed by hey, Quentin Tarantino.

10. Tomb Raider - I'm not the biggest fan of gaming in the world but Lara Croft and I have spent many a lonely night in London together. Adventure, platforms, mystery and problem solving, all executed by a smoking hot chick in hotpants and a crop top, makes me want to plug in the PS2 and get down to some time killing.


There's more I guess, but if I were stuck in flood with only a DVD player, a TV, PS2 and a few books, these would be all I need to keep me going 'til long after the apocalypse.... Oh, these and my Ipod.





No comments:

Post a Comment